- About the ESTC
- ESTC Committee
- Attendee Profile
- The International Ecotourism Society
- 2015 Conference
- 2014 Conference
- 2013 Conference
- 2012 Conference
- 2011 Conference
- 2010 Conference
- 2008 Conference
- 2007 Conference
- 2005 Conference
- Greening the Conference
- Contact Us
- Travel Info
Training Seminar: Sustainability for Tour Operators
When: Monday, 23 September 2013 & Tuesday, 24 September 2013
Where: Safari Hotel Park Hotel and Casino, Nairobi, Kenya (ESTC13 Venue Hotel)
Cost: The training seminar will be free of charge to registered ESTC13 attendees.
How to Register: Please fill out the application form here: www.cbi.eu/sustainability-in-tourism (opens in new window)
Sustainability is both integral and essential to the future success of any business. During this two-day training seminar you will gain practical insights into sustainability practices for tourism businesses: what's in it for you and how can your business benefit from implementing sustainability practices? Learn from best practice examples, and find out how to meet the requirements and expectations of European buyers in terms of environmental and social sustainability practices, and generate more quality business on the EU market.
What Will You Learn?
Through this this training seminar, you will gain practical know-how on specific steps required to implement sustainability practices, and be able to:
- Understand the concept of sustainability in tourism.
- Recognize the key environmental, social and economic impacts of tourism.
- Understand the roles and responsibilities of tour operators (inbound/outbound).
- Identify the types of actions tour operators can take in the field of transport, accommodation, excursions and customer communication.
- Identify quick wins for your own business and for your suppliers.
- Set realistic sustainability targets and identify methods of measuring success.
- Identify personal sustainability USP's (Unique Selling Points).
- Communicate sustainability achievements in an effective way to your clients.
- Use your sustainability achievements to create more business (marketing)
*Download the preliminary agenda here.
This seminar is designed to be a hands-on training experience using a mixture of the following learning techniques/tools:
- Expert presentations.
- Interactive sessions with questions and answers.
- Discussions and group exercises.
- Group and individual role-play exercises.
- Problem-solving exercises.
Following the training seminar, the Travelife sustainability system will offer ongoing support in the use and implementation of the knowledge, methods and tools that have been acquired in the training. The ultimate goal is to prepare you to effectively implement and communicate about your business' sustainability practices, in order to increase your competitiveness in the global markets.
Who Should Attend
This training seminar is designed for the following segments of the tourism industry:
- Executives of tourism businesses.
- Contracting and marketing managers of tour operators catering to the international market.
- Directors and managers of travel associations and tourism boards working with tour operators on a daily basis.
Participants should have relevant experience in the tourism business and master the English language on professional level. Participation is only available to registered ESTC delegates.
The deadline for registration is August 1st. As the number of participants is limited you are advised to apply as soon as possible. For more information you can contact Naut Kusters, n.kusters[at]cbi.eu.
Registration is only available for participants of the ESTC13 conference. If you have not registered yet, please see registration options at www.ecotourismconference.org/rates-and-policies
Trainer: Chris Thompson
Chris Thompson draws on 27 years of practical experience which has taken him to hundreds of holiday destinations in over 30 different countries. He qualified and worked in education, but then moved on to spend more than 20 years in the tour operator sector developing a broad understanding of the tourism industry. He was the Head of Sustainable Tourism for the British Federation of Tour Operators (FTO) and ABTA from 2003 until 2011, and initiated the Travelife Sustainability System for Hotels, in which he is presently involved as the lead consultant and auditor trainer. Chris has an Advanced Diploma in Sustainable Business from Cambridge University.
Centre for the Promotion of Imports from Developing Countries, The Netherlands (CBI)
The Dutch Association of Tour operators and Travel Agents (ANVR)
The International Ecotourism Society (TIES)
Travelife, Sustainability in Tourism