- About the ESTC
- ESTC Committee
- Attendee Profile
- The International Ecotourism Society
- 2014 Conference
- 2013 Conference
- 2012 Conference
- 2011 Conference
- 2010 Conference
- 2008 Conference
- 2007 Conference
- 2005 Conference
- Greening the Conference
- Contact Us
- Travel Info
Training Seminar: Travelife for Hotels and Accommodations Auditor Training
When: Saturday, 28 September 2013 & Sunday, 29 September 2013
Where: Safari Hotel Park Hotel and Casino, Nairobi, Kenya (ESTC13 Venue Hotel)
Cost: The training seminar will be free of charge to registered ESTC13 attendees.
How to Register: Please fill out the application form (download here) and send to info[at]travelife.org, along with your CV, no later than 9th September 2013.
What Will You Learn?
Travelife for Hotels and Accommodations (more information here: www.travelife.org/Hotels), the international sustainability certification scheme for the accommodation sector, in conjunction with TIES will hold a Travelife Auditor Training Course at the ESTC13. The two-day course will qualify attendees as Travelife auditors. It will cover an in-depth training in the Travelife criteria and auditor checklist, sustainability in the accommodation sector, as well as the Travelife audit processes. The course also includes a 3 to 4 hour practical element allowing attendees to apply their learning and the Travelife checklist to a 'real life' setting at a nearby hotel.
Spaces are limited and a maximum of 20 participants can join the training.
Trainer: Chris Thompson
Chris Thompson draws on 27 years of practical experience which has taken him to hundreds of holiday destinations in over 30 different countries. He qualified and worked in education, but then moved on to spend more than 20 years in the tour operator sector developing a broad understanding of the tourism industry. He was the Head of Sustainable Tourism for the British Federation of Tour Operators (FTO) and ABTA from 2003 until 2011, and initiated the Travelife Sustainability System for Hotels, in which he is presently involved as the lead consultant and auditor trainer. Chris has an Advanced Diploma in Sustainable Business from Cambridge University.
We ask for the attendees to meet the following requirements:
- Please fill in the registration form (download here) briefly explaining the reason why you wish to attend the training. Send the registration form via email together with your up to date CV (in word or PDF format) to info[at]travelife.org.
- Good command in English. It is expected that you master the English language on professional level.
- Dress code: business casual.
- Completion of pre-reading material (distributed in advance).
- Attendance of the 2 day training (as above).
- Successful completion of the Travelife auditor exam (as above).
We require all trained auditors to carry out the following activities before auditing:
- To shadow a minimum of one audit with a Travelife auditor
- To carry out a minimum of one supervised audit (supervised by Travelife or a trained Travelife auditor)
- Compliance with Travelife Auditor terms & conditions
Sponsorship and Support for African Nationals
Travelife is very happy to announce the sponsorship of 3 ESTC13 Conference Registrations for participants eligible for the Auditor Training. These registrations will be awarded on a first-come, first serve basis to eligible training participants and are accessible for African Nationals only. The sponsorship is for the registration fee only and does not include any other costs occurred before, during, or after the training (such as transportation or accommodation).
IDH – The Sustainable Trade Initiative
ABTA – The Travel Association
The Dutch Association of Tour operators and Travel Agents (ANVR)
The International Ecotourism Society (TIES)