- About the ESTC
- ESTC Committee
- Attendee Profile
- The International Ecotourism Society
- 2015 Conference
- 2014 Conference
- 2013 Conference
- 2012 Conference
- 2011 Conference
- 2010 Conference
- 2008 Conference
- 2007 Conference
- 2005 Conference
- Greening the Conference
- Contact Us
- Travel Info
Greening the Conference
TIES team, together with our partners, is committed to to follow green event standards and to implement sustainability practices whenever possible. By implementing the following steps to green the ESTC, we seek to minimize waste, reduce our carbon footprint, and play our part in mitigating the impact on the environment.
Local & Organic Meals
TIES is working with the conference caterers to offer local and organic food in the meals whenever possible. Supporting locally grown and produced food will help conserve energy used in transportation and promote local products that are grown using environmentally friendly practices.
TIES implements the following for all food and beverages to be served during theESTC meals and breaks:
- Use of local, organic and sustainable food whenever possible.
- Fair trade and/or organic coffee and tea.
- Ban of straws, Styrofoam, and other non-reusable materials.
- Work with the conference venue to provide recycling and composting.
Sustainable Culinary Showcase
The Sustainable Culinary Showcase will minimize waste by using only recyclable and compostable materials, and ensures those materials are disposed of properly. Guests can place used items in the trash containers provided and the contents will be composted. Participating restaurants and wineries will recycle all glass, aluminum and plastic (including "stretchy" plastic wrap) and reuse or recycle cardboard boxes.
Conference program is printed with vegetable-based ink on 100% recycled and FSC-certified paper. Our printing partner uses 100% wind energy for its operations.
Utilize paperless procedures whenever possible (online registration, on-site registration, speaker selection)
To help further reduce the footprint of the ESTC, TIES will strive to purchase locally made conference bags.
Conference badges are made from FSC-certified paper and is 100% recycled, and badge holders are made from 100% compostable materials. We collect and reuse conference badges year after year to reduce consumption.
Recycled and recyclable products (paper, toner cartridges, etc.) are used for the conference office.
Green Office Practices
- TIES offices implements zero-paper practices for our projects as much as possible by utilizing online tools and removing processes that require paper usage. We also encourage all of our partners to follow this policy whenever possible. For instance, we ask that all proposals, article submissions, invitations and other materials to be sent via email.
- For unavoidable paper waste, as well as for non-paper waste, we use a comprehensive recycling system.
- We have worked with all of our destinations to cut down on shipping-related waste for the ESTC.
Recycling of mixed paper, cardboard, bottles and cans, batteries and other office items.
Energy-saving products are used in our offices whenever possible.