- About the ESTC
- ESTC Committee
- Attendee Profile
- The International Ecotourism Society
- 2015 Conference
- 2014 Conference
- 2013 Conference
- 2012 Conference
- 2011 Conference
- 2010 Conference
- 2008 Conference
- 2007 Conference
- 2005 Conference
- Greening the Conference
- Contact Us
- Travel Info
Ecolodge Workshop: How to Plan, Design and Market an Ecolodge
About the Workshop
To achieve a financially viable and marketable ecolodge takes skill and planning. This course will assess the physical feasibility and market potential for ecolodges. You will learn how to plan and design an ecolodge, with emphasis on creating a sense of place for the visitor and interpreting the environment and the culture, and gain an insight into successfully operating and marketing an ecolodge.
All workshop participants will be invited to the ESTC Ecolodge Workshop Group on TIES-EXCHANGE, and will have access to presentation materials and workshop documents online before the workshop.
Date & Time
Sunday, September 16th, 9:00 - 16:00 (lunch included)
Workshop Leaders: Internal Ecolodge and Marketing Experts
Facilitator: Ms Karen Lewis, Co-Founder and Co-Owner, Lapa Rios Ecolodge (Costa Rica)
- Mr. Hitesh Mehta, President, HM Design (online presentation) - "Master Planning, Site Planning and Architecture"
- Dr. Lars Lindkvist, President, Basecamp Foundation
- Ms Judy Kepher-Gona, CEO, Basecamp Foundation
- Mr. Masaru Takayama, Executive Director, Japan Ecolodge Association - "Sustainable Technologies for Ecolodges"
- Ms Deirdre Campbell, Owner, The Tartan Group - "The Do's and Don'ts of Ecolodge Marketing"
- Ms Karen Lewis, Co-Founder and Owner, Lapa Rios Ecolodge (Costa Rica) - "Improving Operations Through Certification"
Expert-led Breakout Sessions (Rotating each 1/2 hour):
- Community Conservation Areas, led by Judy Kepher-Gona
- Ecolodge Development, led by Lars Lindkvist
- Sustainable Technologies, led by Masaru Takayama
- Operations and Certification, led by Karen Lewis
Additional Workshop Details
How To Sign Up: This workshop is open to the ESTC12 attendees only. To sign up for this workshop, please add the "Pre-Conference Workshop" option as an add-on to your full-conference registration (See online registration form here).
*Already registered for the conference? Please sign up for the workshop on this form: ESTC12 Additional Registration Options
Workshop Fee: US$110